Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

day 8 @ UTMC - Happy Birthday Apollo!

May 29, 2011 at exactly 3:06PM EST (Sunday) our little Apollo Raphael is born! :)

I know huh!  It's been a whirlwind of so many activities, surprises and emotions in the hospital since Friday that I never had a chance to update everyone of what is happening.  So I think the best way to put it is my vital stats are not going well over the last few days before Apollo was born.

The protein level in my urine rose from 1,800 to 9,000.  5,000 is very very dangerous already so I am at a double risk level already!    My blood pressure is not going down and my swelling is getting worse.  Apollo on the other hand is doing great (thank God!).  So early morning that Sunday at 330AM, the nurse told me that I am giving birth that day because everything is not going well.

 at my private delivery room waiting for the induction medicine to work.  Not working!


anxious daddy to be :)

 my nurses Caroline and Amy prepping me up for surgery.
 



At 6:00AM that Sunday, I was brought down to the labor and delivery at the 3rd floor east wing and they started the induction medicine, antibiotics (penicillin) and magnesium (which should help me from having seizures of heart failure).  I was hooked up to the stress test machine to get Apollo's stats. They drew blood from me like every two hours to check my CBC and protein level.  I was there for almost 9 hours,  Ryan is with me and so is Mom Beverly.  The next thing I know my nurse came in at around 2PM and told me she needs to prep me up because they need to do a C-section ASAP.  I was so flustered and surprised I don't even have time to react.  Ryan was upstairs in our room taking a shower and he has to go back down immediately because they are going to start really soon.  


 getting ready for my surgery

am being prepped up for my c-section.  
the epidural actually feels really good coz it's cool in my back.

 The next thing i know I was being given my epidural and being prepped up at the delivery room.  It is weird because I do not feel too scared at that time. I am a little nervous but not too scared.  Ryan  on the other hand was shaking the whole time.  He was sitting beside me while I am laying down behind the curtain so I cannot see the delivery team open me and up and get Apollo out of my tumtum.  Ryan on the other hand saw everything and it's amazing how I do not feel anything at all!




 Apollo:  Mom why did you post a pic with my willie showing??

First pic of mommy and Apollo together

It was exactly 3:06PM when Apollo was taken out and it was the greatest moment!  When Apollo was out we did not hear him cry and Ryan panicked.  I was too groggy to react but I insist on seeing him.  The doctor said that premature babies do no cry but they whimper.  After a minute or two of the doctors and nurses checking Apollo out make sure he is all good and breathing, they brought my little boy to me and he is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! He is whimpering like a kitty and it's the best sound I have ever heard.  I only spent a minute with him and they took him away to bring to the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). 

It all happened so fast.  It was over in less than 30 minutes. I cannot describe the feeling.  At some point I felt a huge relief that everything is over.  But at the same time I also feel scared because he is so tiny and still so young to be out of mommy.  Then again I guess that epidural helped me forget about my anxieties after the ordeal even for just a few hours (more like 15 hours because I slept that long after the surgery haha).  

Anyway Apollo was taken to the NICU and I was taken back to the private delivery room where I need to spend the next 24 hours there for another dosage of magnesium.  The magnesium will keep me from having seizures or any organ failure.  it will also help stabilize my blood pressure after.

Happy Birthday Apollo!  It was a stressful day for everyone but it is all worth it because you are just precious! Mommy loves you so much!


P.S.  More blogs to come after Apollo's birthday (again apologies that I have not been online to update everyone!)

No comments:

Post a Comment