Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Spicy Coconut Chicken Curry

My parents, my husband and I love Spicy curry so I thought I might try to cook the Filipino style curry – using coconut milk! It’s really yummy!  I probably have to start using coconut milk in a can in the US when I cook this for my husband and the family.





Estimated Cooking Time – 40 minutes
For the Curry –
  • 1 kilo chicken cut into pieces
  • 2-3 pieces large potatoes, quartered
  • 2-3 pieces carrots, cut into pieces
  • 1 big red bell pepper cut into 1″ x 1″ squares
  • 1 big green bell pepper cut into 1″ x 1″ squares
  • 2 mid-sized onions, chopped
  • 1 bulb garlic, minced
  • 1 thumb-sized ginger, pounded then sliced
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 2-3 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1 tsp chili powder or minced chili (optional)
  • 4 tbsp cooking oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
To Prepare the Curry –
  1. In a wok, fry the cut chicken until light brown.  Next, fry potatoes and carrots. Set aside.
  2. In a saucepan, saute garlic, onions and ginger in cooking oil for 2 minutes.
  3. Add the chicken, coconut milk, curry powder and chili powder.  Simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Add potatoes, carrots and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or until tender.
  5. Add red and green bell pepper, salt (about 1 tbsp) and pepper to taste.
  6. Serve hot with steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment